Sunday, September 21, 2008

Una gira alle Pisa & Lucca

On Saturday morning we took a train from Santa Maria Novella train station to Pisa. When you leave the train station and head in the direction of the church and the famous leaning tower, there is a large avenue filled with clothing/shoe/makeup/department stores, and then you see the tower peeking out through the buildings. There were plenty of tourists, so we did the whole tourist thing and took funny pictures. The leaning tower of Pisa actually leans more than I thought, and it's shorter too. I never knew that there were other buildings (shops, etc) so close by. After our photo shoot, we sat in the shade of the tower and ate sandwiches and gelato.

We decided to head over to a tiny town a 15 minute train ride away, called Lucca. It has a massive old wall surrounding it, and inside there are many more of those clothing/department style stores. The streets were filled with Italians enjoying the Saturday, and apparently, there was a festival for Puccini (who lived in Lucca) so there was an antique fair. We stopped by a gelateria that was celebrating its 80th anniversary, and I got 5 scoops, and my room mate got a nutella crepe. Speaking of nutella - we also found a dough nut stand that had nutella covered dough nuts! (They were hot and delicious - and not as oily and gross as some dough nuts in the US). We had fun getting lost looking for Puccini's house and ended up doing a lot of window shopping. (Pretty soon, I need to get a warm coat and some shoes that can handle the cold and rain...) My roommates and I had our first sit-down dinner at a Luccan restaurant called "Dal Francese" where I ordered the Tortelli Lucchese (Luccan tortellini).

Photos from Pisa: In the last one we're attacking it!

Now Lucca:

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Wow Nutella everything, Italy sounds like my kind of country if they put nutella on everything =D. You've got to tell me how to add u to the blogs I follow, cuz I'll add ya. But how's school? I'm pretty busy now a days, but it's all good. Hope to hear more adventures from you and you're always in my prayers =).

NEWJIN said...

Lookin' goooooooooooood Avery!! Italy looks so fun ;o; and all the food you are writing about makes me so hungry lol esp the Nutella dough nut, omgawwwwwwwwd D:
Italy must be treating you nice, you look so good in your pictures!

xdelphinex said...

it looks like youre having sooooo much fun !!! and it looks sooooo pretty !!! im glad you could go even if though i still miss the random hang outs =[