Sunday, April 5, 2009

Milano...Visitors from Vermont...Visitor from Spezia!

A few weeks ago my 20th Century Italian Art class and all the Studio Art students went to Milano to see the 100th Anniversary of Futurism Show. It was an awesome and inspiring show, and Laura, Gaby, Sam and I climbed up to the top of the Milan Duomo - it was super dangerous with lots of wind and Gothic spires waiting to impale us....just kidding! But there WERE a lot of passageways and sculptures of saints or other Catholic figures on the spires. We laid out in the sun and slept until we were woken by the sound of Metro Station playing for MTV Italia TRL. HaHA!Speed. Art. Action.
(photoalbum)

The next day Elisse and Gladys arrived all the way from Vermont! It was so weird to have someone call me "Kei" again! Their first night here, they made some naan for a CSU potluck. I haven't had naan since Amsterdam! We also went to Siena, where we ate panini in the sun-filled Piazza del Campo. The week continued to be nice so we also visited the Boboli Gardens, a place I've been to a lot of times (because I get in for free) but this time (after a picnic of bread, cheese, and wine) I was able to explore more of the gardens, and see the beautiful views of the city. Cortona, the location for the film "Under the Tuscan Sun," was a sweet little town with lots of cute shops and a delicious chocolate shop! They also went on a day-long bike ride through Tuscany to Chianti, and we had some nice dinners at Pizzaiuolo and Osteria Santo Spirito. It was nice to have visitors from home (Gaby's friend Tara also visited from California). It really reminds me that I have to savour these last 3 months. But it also gives me something to look forward to! I want to visit Elisse in Japan and travel in Asia next year, and since Gladys will be in Ferrara I'll also have a friend in Italy to visit!++Shutterfly Album of their trip++
This week I worked a lot - we have three art shows to work for; one with students from CSU and the Accademia, one including students from multiple schools (which is associated with a gallery in Greece), and the third is going to take place outside on a street in Florence. Jackie, Gaby's friend from CSULB, also came to visit from another Italian town. We had a lot of fun and it was nice to have another Long Beach person with us!

I've also been having to think about where I am going to live when I get back...where I'm going to work...what classes to take...slowly my past life in California is seeping into my life in Florence. It's like the opposite of what was happening exactly a year ago. I'm excited to go back but also really nervous. I tell everyone, "I don't want to go back, but I don't want to stay here either." I think I just want to keeping moving around the world. I know, it sounds crazy!

1 comment:

jodi said...

heyyy avery, i was just lookin on the news and heard about the earthquake in italy.. i don't know if it was very near to u but i was thinking of you and hope that everything is okay..

wouldn't it be nice to travel all the time? hehe u can come and visit me in china next year! :D i'd like that. hehe