Saturday, January 31, 2009

5 Months

To everyone at home; THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the Christmas/お正月 presents! I will try to get out thank-you postcards as soon as I can...!!!
Last weekend we went on a Northern Italy field trip to Ferrara, Padova, Vincenza, Mantova, and Venice. We saw many beautiful buildings; a Palazzo Ducale which contained the Camera degli Sposi, and an amazing theater (in the photo on the right.) In Venice we went to the Accademia di Belle Arti di
Venezia, where we got to see a lot of paintings by Tintoretto, Titian, Veronese, and Giorgione. Venetian painting is distinctly different from Florentine painting. It's darker because it's painted on dark canvas and wood. (I actually like it better). The weekend definitely helped inspire me, which is a good thing because I need to get a lot of painting and drawing done!











Something weird: When we went to the Hong Kong ristorante two Tuesdays ago, the waitress was talking to us for a bit, and mentioned that she had a 5 month old baby. And I realized, that baby has been alive as long as I've been here in Florence.
FIVE MONTHS has gone by fast...but there have been some "slow" times as well. However, It's been five months of rediscovery, normal discovery, and change. Already I can feel how it will be difficult for me to adjust to life back in the States. Now that I know that 5 months is not enough to fully know and understand a place, how can I ever settle in one place when there are so many places to explore?

1 comment:

njc said...

DEEEP BLOGGY..
I want to go right now. Pretty pictures!